background

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Homemade Donuts


I remember making these donuts as a little kid. I have no idea who made up this recipe, or who was the first to post in blogland but this recipe is all over the place now. I imagine that it first came from Pillsbury themselves in some little advertisement or take home cookbook years and years ago. I am 40 years old and we have been making this delicious breakfast treat over 30 years way before blogging began. I had actually forgotten about it and don't think my kids had ever had them (and nope they hadn't). I made it and they loved them just the same as I did, way back when (oh, I still love them now too) and NO they are NOT on my 2012 diet either.


The exciting thing is, that you can make them too! You may just have all the stuff right now to get them going (get up and go look... your kids will thank you later)! They are really super simple NOT FROM SCRATCH donuts. All you need is a roll of biscuits, some oil and a few toppings.


Homemade Donuts
recipe source unknown

1 pkg Bisquits; round (any kind will work, Grands make big donuts)
Vegetable Oil for Frying
1 stick margarine, melted

Pour oil into skillet to the depth of a little less than 1/2 an inch and heat on medium to medium high for about five minutes.

Using a plastic bottle cap, cut the center out of each biscuit. Drop dough into hot oil, watching carefully and turning when golden. Once doughnuts are golden on both sides, remove to paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all dough is cooked, including doughnut holes.

In a bowl, melt margarine. Dip both sides of each dounuts into melted margarine, then press into desired topping. In a separate bowl get toppings ready, like the combo of cinnamon and sugar.

Other Topping Ideas:
  • mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup just plain sugar
  • can frosting and sprinkles
  • make a glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar and 1-1/2 tbsp milk or water and 1/4 tsp vanilla

3 comments :

  1. You have some great recipes on here which I would love to try! But I can't figure out how to print them! Am I missing a button or something? I've even tried copying into word but I get a weird background when I do that.

    Thanks!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...