background

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Caramel Apples

I LOVE CARAMEL APPLES! If I could eat apples like this everyday, I would for sure eat my share. It's healthy, right? This was my first attempt at homemade Caramel Apples. I am not sure why I waited so long to try my hand at this, they are my number one favorite treat of all time! I buy them almost anywhere I go, the best place is the chocolate store right by our movie theatre, I always get a hot caramel apple at Disneyland at my little hidden secret ice cream store (LOVE IT!) and no matter where I am or what time of year it is, I am always up for a Caramel Apple. And now I can make them myself and they are EASY and just as good.





I read about the wax that is put on apples, so it's very important that you take a brand new scrub sponge and clean all your apples first. This will help the hot caramel stick.


Caramel Apples

Melting Caramel (I used two different kinds, one purchased in Oak Glen Apple Country and another in a block sold at my local cake store) or you can use 1 bag of Kraft caramels

4-6 large, tart and/or firm apples (usually Granny Smith works best for caramel apples)
1 bag white melting chips or milk chocolate melting chips (or a little of both)

Wash, scrub (with a brand new yellow sponge), and dry apples. This is important or your caramel won't stick because of the wax coating stores put on apples.

In a medium saucepan, melt caramel according to package directions. (this is sometimes down in the microwave too) Put popsicle stick/apple stick in the apple. Dip in melted caramel making sure to fully coat it. Place on parchment or wax paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cool in the refrigerator (or on the counter top if you have tons of time) until caramel is set up, about 15 minutes. Trim off the excess caramel puddle (this can be remelted). 

Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Coat the apple with the chocolate. Let it set up a little bit before sprinkling it with topping of your choice. Cool completely in the fridge. Cut into slices and serve.


And using this APPLE cutter in my new favorite way to serve up my caramel apple! YAH!


TOPPINGS
Cinnamon SugarPie: White Chocolate and Cinnamon Sugar (make cinnamon sugar with 1 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of cinnamon)

Apple Pie: White Chocolate with mixture of 1-1/2 tbsp of brown sugar and 3 dashes of cinnamon (makes one apple)

Rocky Road: Milk Chocolate with a sprinkle of nuts and marshmallows


5 comments :

  1. I love caramel apples anytime too. When I made them at home, I ALWAYS make them gourmet like you did in this post....first caramel, then milk chocolate and then the toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I love a good caramel apple.
    My favorite treat at Disneyland is a churro. I think I consume one every hour when we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. Sadly, I'm allergic to apples in their raw form (I can only eat them cooked)...I have to give these up many, many moon ago. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! My kids would love it if I made caramel apples!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...